What is paleo? Read more here:
Begins Thursday, January 2nd and ends Saturday, February 1st.
Entry Fee: $20 (all proceeds go to winners of the challenge)
This is not a weight loss competition. This challenge is a way to better health and a longer, happier life.
Before and After:
Pictures: Front and back view
Measurements: Body weight, waist circumference, and body fat
Performance: WOD (TBD)
1. Eat Real Food
2. Maintain a food log
3. Record your daily scores on The Swamp Paleo Board
You will be required to keep track of your eating in a nutrition log. From this log you will give yourself a score of 0-4 based on your compliance with the Paleo Diet.
Four Points: You are a hunter-gatherer. You eat nothing but meat, veggies, some fruit, nuts and seeds.
Three Points: One time during the day, you had a little something that wasn’t paleo, but wasn’t horrible. Examples: Dried fruit, most condiments (bbq, soy sauce, ketchup, mayo, salad dressing), peanuts, hummus, cream in coffee, etc…
Two Points: You slipped…but didn’t get hurt. You had a small amount of “not real food”. Maybe it was a fully paleo day, but you couldn’t resist having a beer at the family BBQ, or you finished your kids' mac ‘n cheese, but the rest of your day was solid. Examples: 1 beer/glass of wine, dinner rolls, a handful of fries/chips, rice, etc…
One Point: Most of your day was paleo, but there was one full meal that you fell off the wagon. Examples: Pasta, pizza, more than one soda/juice/alcohol, bag of popcorn, etc…
Zero Points: You had a bad day and made more than one solid mistake. Examples: You had a couple slices of pizza and beer.
1. You get one extra bonus point for every day you participate in a WOD (at any affiliate). The benefits of paleo are magnified when combined with a training program that combines constantly varied, high intensity, functional movements. Train Hard. Eat Clean. Live Life.
2. You can get an additional bonus point for every night you sleep more than eight hours. Proper sleep has been associated with everything from faster recovery, better mental focus, to more HGH production. We believe this is one of the greatest factors in improved health and want to reward those that are getting their zzzz’s.
3. You get one extra bonus point for every day that you take fish oil. It has been reported that fish oil consumption has been linked to reduced inflammation, increased protein synthesis, decreased protein breakdown, and enhanced immune function. We believe that taking fish oil consistently can only help your body's ability to recover quickly and train more effectively.
We will award first and second place prizes (cash, etc.) to MALE and FEMALE winners based on the following criteria:
- Measurement Improvements: weight, waist and body fat
- Performance gains: WOD
- Scoring: Points from daily nutrition log.
Sample Day Paleo Breakfasts:
- veggie omelet
- fruit and nuts
- steak and salsa
- Left over dinner
- Almond butter
- Left over dinner
- Paleo bars
- Jerky – watch the ingredients, most have soy or wheat
- Deli meat
- Salad with meat, watch the dressing
- Steak and guacamole
- Grilled chix with mixed veggies
- Fish, steak or chicken veggies
Sneaky non-paleo foods: Corn, potatoes, milk, yogurt, cheese and all dairy, peanuts, beans and all legumes (soy).
**We posted a sign-up list on the board to the right of the Men's room on Monday, December 23rd.
**We will establish a private Facebook group as a resource for all participants to communicate prior to and during the challenge.